May 2, 2006

Swing Time, Swing Time...

The classic Swing Time (1936) has definitely become a perennial looper since I bought it on dvd - and I haven't tired of it yet, as the poor apartment-dweller next door is either a big fan of big band, or too polite to pound on the walls every time "Bojangles of Harlem" starts up (usually at quite inappropriate hours). After scouring kitschy kiosks and specialty stores in the malls around here, I found no appropriate homage to two of my fave hoofers, Fred and Ginga, so I had to take matters into my own hands this afternoon while watching The Third Man (it kinda won me over on Joseph Cotten, finally). Wielding a bottle of Tacky Glue, an equally-tacky thrift-store clock, a black-and-white photograph printed in the campus library and a bit of moxie, I came up with this...and for a five-minute endeavor, it don't look too bad.

It looks awfully cozy on my white walls, doesn't it? Ah, I love that movie.